Saturday 27 August 2011

Weekend's events

Well, it's been nothing if not an action-packed weekend in the TG&C household. A little less of the gardening and a little more of the cooking.
Firstly, mother dearest and I managed to have a more successful bout of making passionfruit jubes. Delish, let me tell you - strained passionfruit pulp (about 15), caster sugar, gelatine, water. Last time we didn't put enough gelatine in, but this time we did. Yumbo.
I had had the recipe for a while and re-discovered it in my search for passionfruit recipes out of the norm. You know, anything other than on pavlova.
I am planning a recipe section on this blog, but while I'm learning to drive, if anyone wants the recipe, drop me a line.
Other gourmet (??!) creations include tomato chilli jam, which we found in a Gourmet Traveller cooking book lent to us.
This went particularly well with the much talked about zucchini and smoked salmon fritters. I do have to say they need "something", but not sure yet what that something is. Couldn't believe how much moisture to wring out of the zucchinis!
Still got four zucchinis in the crisper to use so more ideas are gratefully accepted.
Also boiled down some of the abundance of tomatoes to make a tomato sauce - in the same vein as tinned tomatoes. so we now have two batches, happily freezing away.
In other news, Mother Dearest and I had to go to Big W yesterday to get some photos printed, and I suggested that seeing as we were there, that we should just poke our noses into the gardening section.
Well!
They had fig trees! and raspberries! and rhubarb plants!
Muchos excitement. Particularly re: the fig tree. Think it cost $12. There was another customer looking at them at the same time as us, and while Mum didn't think I should buy the fig, he said to give it a go. He was a mature gentleman from Innisfail, originally from Greece, who said he has one in Innisfail and it's going well. So fingers crossed. He also showed me the best one to buy and said when I plant it, put some rocks in the hole, because where he comes from in Greece, they spring up between the rocks. Oh, and lime. He was a great source of information. Need more interactions like that.
So we also bought the rhubarb plants (have you ever made rhubarb jam??) but gave the raspberries a miss. I have heard they grow "up the hill", but not too sure about down here on the lowlands.
What have you bought from the nursery this weekend, or made from your own produce?

2 comments:

  1. Good luck with the fig.... I wanna sample of the jam- its one of my favourites!!!! And isnt it great when people share- wouldnt the world be a better place if we did more of it. Huggles and prayers. Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those jubes sound amazing!
    I haven't been to the nursery lately, or made anything using garden produce (the closest to that kind of domesticity was making bread in the breadmaker with a mix Mum had that was god knows how old, meaning it hardly rose and was like a rather hard, tasteless scone).
    BUT, I can report that upon my return home from holidays I discovered pretty flowers going gangbusters on my two living pot plants! Hurrah!
    Good luck with the fig. Love figs - either fresh, dried or in jam. Also love rhubarb.

    ReplyDelete