Monday 22 August 2011

Of failures and discoveries ...

Well, due to popular demand, I am compelled to recount my most recent failure.
Apparently that's a good thing ... right? That way you'll see I'm not perfect? Eeek.
Well, mashed parsnip was not a success in the TG&C household last week.
I failed to listen to my mother's advice (!) and decided to roast the home-grown parsnip before mashing it. Uh uh. Mother dearest advised boiling it first. She's from the boiling generation, you see.
I did heed the online recipe instructions, and did not roast the core. This is where the fibrous bit is.
Well, the parsnip sat in our aged oven for abt half an hour and failed to soften. So it was served roasted. Sort of.
However, I am determined to tell you about at least one success. Recently we had a spectacular lamb roast. Oh so tender. Not so much due to my cooking, I hasten to add, but due to the beautifully-prepared hunk of meat. Thank you, Earlville Butcher! Anyway, as we all know, with a piece of roast meat, one must serve roast vegetables. So with our piece of baby sheep we had roast beetroot, carrot, and parsnip, all from our garden, along with some briefly boiled zucchini.
It seems we currently have about six zucchinis sitting in the crisper so we're researching more recipes. I have one for a zucchini and smoked salmon fritter and mother dearest suggested a zucchini relish. Am i game enough? Suggestions? Preferences?
Oh, have been absent for a cupla days, been on a roadtrip with the aforesaid Mother Dearest, to Cooktown. More research needed, but the chef at the Sovereign Resort seems to be rather brilliant. We had spectacular meals both nights, including potato mash with .... truffle oil! Must buy some, don't think there's any grown here in the tropics. Suggestions on where to buy, please?
On another note, I would just like to say, keep the comments coming, I'm loving the feedback and suggestions. All very new to this blogging caper, so am  open to ideas.
'Till next time ....

1 comment:

  1. I saw a recipe for something with zucchini in it the other day and thought 'ah, should send that to the tropical gardener and cook'. But in typical fashion, I've now forgotten where I saw it. Will see if I can remember and dig it up.

    ReplyDelete